ANNAPOLIS, Md., Feb. 8, 2014 – The James Madison women’s tennis squad notched its first win of the spring as the Dukes powered by Navy for the 4-3 victory at the Brigade Sports Complex on Saturday afternoon.
JMU is now 1-1 on the spring dual season while Navy fell to 8-2, seeing its seven-match win-streak snapped by the Dukes.
The Mids opened doubles play with a win at the No. 3 position as Darien Sears and Sam Droop defeated seniors Jacqueline Palmucci (Aurora, Colo./Cherokee Trail) and Ruxandra Andriescu (Brampton, Ontario, Canada/Turner Fenton) 6-2. The Dukes, however, evened the doubles competition at 1-1 as sophomore Cara Wirth (Reading, Pa./Wilson) and redshirt junior Sarah Khan (Islamabad, Pakistan/Overseas Pakistani Foundation College (New Mexico)) dropped Erin Snook and Summer Ralston 6-4 at the No. 2 doubles position.
Junior Taylor Pinchoff (Sylvan Lake, Mich./West Bloomfield) and freshman Alex Huie (The Woodlands, Texas/The Woodlands) secured the doubles point for the Dukes at the No. 1 position, battling Navy’s Mikaela Carlson and Noelle Kaufmann for the 7-5 victory.
The Dukes quickly powered to a 2-0 lead over Navy as Palmucci knocked off Carlson in two sets (6-0, 6-3) at the No. 6 singles position.
Navy, however, rallied for two quick wins and tied the match at 2-2. Snook won in two sets (6-0, 6-4) over Pinchoff at the No. 1 singles position before Droop picked up a two-set win (6-3, 6-4) over Huie at the No. 2 singles position.
Freshman Rachel Nelson (Big Prairie, Ohio/West Holmes) broke the tie with a two-set victory (6-4, 6-3) over Kaufmann at the No. 4 singles position, giving the Dukes a 3-2 advantage in the match.
At the No. 5 singles position, Andriescu jumped out to a one-set lead over Navy’s Gabby Winter with a 6-3 win in set one. Winter, however, battled back for a 6-3 victory of her own in set two to even the match. Andriescu overcame Winter 10-6 in set three to secure the point and the match win for the Dukes.
Freshman Emily Bradshaw (Mississauga, Ontario, Canada/Blyth Academy) came back from a one-set deficit to tie her match with Logan Antill, but a decisive third set fell in the Midshipman’s favor as Antill won 2-6, 6-4, 10-8 at the No. 3 singles position to wrap up play for the day.
JMU travels to UMBC on Sunday, Feb. 8, for a 10 a.m. match.
JMU 4, Navy 3
1. Taylor Pinchoff/Alex Huie (JMU) def. Mikaela Carlson/Noelle Kaufmann (Navy), 7-5
2. Cara Wirth/Sarah Khan (JMU) def. Erin Snook/Summer Ralston (Navy), 6-4
3. Darien Sears/Sam Droop (Navy) def. Jacqueline Palmucci/Ruxandra Andriescu (JMU), 6-2
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1
1. Erin Snook (Navy) def. Taylor Pinchoff (JMU) 6-0, 6-4
2. Sam Droop (Navy) def. Alex Huie (JMU) 6-3, 6-4
3. Logan Antill (Navy) def. Emily Bradshaw (JMU) 2-6, 6-4, 10-8
4. Rachel Nelson (JMU) def. Noelle Kaufmann (Navy) 6-4, 6-3
5. Ruxandra Andriescu (JMU) def. Gabby Winter (Navy) 6-3, 3-6, 10-6
6. Jacqueline Palmucci (JMU) def. Mikaela Carlson (Navy) 6-0, 6-3
Order of Finish: 6, 1, 2, 4, 5, 3