CHARLOTTE, N.C., March 7, 2013 -
In a neutral-court match Thursday afternoon, the James Madison men's tennis
team fell 5-2 to South Carolina State.
The Bulldogs won two of three doubles matches to tally the point and secured
four of six singles points to take the match.
The loss dropped the Dukes to 2-6 this spring, and the Bulldogs moved up to 4-2.
Two victories for SC State gave the Bulldogs the 1-0 start on the day. Senior Ryan Pool (Melbourne, Australia/Braemar (Chattanooga)) and freshman Robert Stirling (Caboolture, Australia/St. Columbans College) fell 8-4 to Anton Protsenko and Artemiy Nikitin at the No. 1 position. Seniors Bastien Russo (Lyon, France/Notre Dame des Minimes (Shorter)) and Florent Sentenac (Borders, France/Lycee Theophile Gautier (Auburn Montgomery)) lost 8-3 to Tomas Bizon and Jiri Stiburek at the No. 3 position.
JMU's senior duo of Hugo Ramadier (Paris, France/Lycee Francais Chateabriand (Northern Arizona)) and Greg Vladimirsky (Staten Island, N.Y./Broward Virtual) posted an 8-3 win over Peteris Vinogradous and Marius Dragoi at the No. 2 doubles position before heading into singles competition.
The two carried the success into their single duals and notched the Dukes' points for the day. Vladimirsky claimed a two-set victory (7-5, 6-2) over Bizon at the No. 2 position while Ramadier took down Vinogradous for the second time with a two-set win (6-2, 6-4) in the No. 4 slot.
At the No. 1 position, Pool struck first with a 6-4 win in set one before Protsenko tied the match at 1-all with a 6-3 win in set two. In decisive set three, Protsenko took the point with a 6-1 victory. At the No. 6 position Dragoi picked up a three-set win (4-6, 6-4, 10-3) of his own over freshman Maxi Branth (Stockholm, Sweden/Tullinge Gymnasium).
JMU continues its spring break swing Saturday, March 9 at Coastal Carolina. Doubles play starts at noon at the Billy Nichols Tennis Center.
SC State 5, JMU 2
1) Protsenko/Nikitin (SCST) def. Pool/Stirling (JMU), 8-4
2) Ramadier/Vladimirsky (JMU) def. Vinogradous/Dragoi (SCST), 8-3
3) Bizon/Stiburek (SCST) def. Bastien Russo/Sentenac (JMU), 8-3
1) Anton Protsenko (SCST) def. Ryan Pool (JMU) 4-6, 6-3, 6-1
2) Greg Vladimirsky (JMU) def. Tomas Bizon (SCST) 7-5, 6-2
3) Artemiy Nikitin (SCST) def. Robert Stirling (JMU) 6-0, 6-4
4) Hugo Ramadier (JMU) def. Peteris Vinogradous (SCST) 6-2, 6-4
5) Jiri Stiburek (SCST) def. Florent Sentenac (JMU) 6-1, 6-1
6) Marius Dragoi (SCST) def. Maxi Branth (JMU) 4-6, 6-4, 10-3