CHAPEL HILL, N.C. - The James Madison men's tennis team was unable to overcome No. 23 North Carolina, falling 7-0 Saturday evening at the Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center.
The Dukes now sit at 0-4 on the spring season while the Tar Heels improved to 5-2 overall.
Senior Malcolm Peace (Harrisonburg, Va./Anderson (IUPUI)) competed for the first time this spring, partnering with fellow senior Greg Vladimirsky (Staten Island, N.Y./Broward Virtual) for a doubles duel against UNC's Maik Ulrich and Nelson Vick. The duo of Dukes fell 8-1 to give the Tar Heels an early edge for the doubles point. Seniors Bastien Russo (Lyon, France/Notre Dame des Minimes (Shorter)) and Florent Sentenac (Borderes, France/Lycee Theophile Guatier (Auburn Montgomery)) locked into battle with Andrew Gores and Oystein Steiro but were unable to overcome the pair and lost 8-6 to give UNC the doubles point.
In singles competition, freshman Maxi Branth (Stockholm, Sweden/Tullinge Gymnasium) went down 6-0, 6-1 to Taylor Meyer, and Russo dropped his match with Ulrich 6-0, 6-4 to put North Carolina within one point of victory on the day. Sentenac fought hard against UNC's Steiro but came up just short at 6-4, 6-1 to give North Carolina the winning fourth point.
Freshman Robert Stirling (Caboolture, Australia/St. Columbans College) was the lone Duke to take his match to a third set, doing so against No. 102 William Parker in the number three singles position. After falling to Parker 6-1 in set one, Stirling rallied to take a 6-4 victory in set two before losing 6-0 in a decisive set three.
Next on the JMU slate is its conference-opener at Hofstra on Friday, Feb. 15. First serve is slated for 7 p.m. in Hempstead, N.Y.
#23 North Carolina 7, James Madison 0
Doubles (Team Winning Majority of Matches Earns One Team Point)
Order of match finish: (2, 3)
1. Brett Clark/William Parker (UNC) vs. Ryan Pool/Robert Stirling (JMU), 7-4 (DNF)
2. Maik Ulrich/Nelson Vick (UNC) d. Malcolm Peace/Greg Vladimirsky (JMU), 8-1
3. Andrew Gores/Oystein Steiro (UNC) d. Bastien Russo/Florent Sentenac (JMU), 8-6
Singles (One Team Point per Singles Match)
Order of match finish: (5, 6, 4, 2, 3, 1)
1. #58 Nelson Vick (UNC) d. Ryan Pool (JMU), 6-2, 7-5
2. #57 Brett Clark (UNC) d. Greg Vladimirsky (JMU), 6-0, 7-5
3. #102 William Parker (UNC) d. Robert Stirling (JMU), 6-1, 4-6, 6-0
4. Oystein Steiro (UNC) d. Florent Sentenac (JMU), 6-4, 6-1
5. Taylor Meyer (UNC) d. Maxi Branth (JMU), 6-0, 6-1
6. Maik Ulrich (UNC) d. Bastien Russo (JMU), 6-0, 6-4