Harrisonburg, Va., July 31, 2013 -- James Madison University's own Danielle Erb is the "New Face" of Hawaiian Tropic.
After a month long contest that included online voting and a panel of company judges, Hawaiian Tropic revealed today through its Facebook page that Erb, a May JMU graduate and four-year standout for the volleyball Dukes, won the honor over four other contestants.
"I don't think any words can truly describe how honored and excited I am to be the face of Hawaiian Tropic," Erb said. "This entire experience has been life changing and an adventure, and I'm so lucky to have JMU behind me the whole way."
Thanks in part to the support of JMU fans, she took an early lead in the online voting, which was 30 percent of the contest, and won that portion by a considerable margin. The remaining 70% of the contest was determined by the judges, who obviously liked what they saw in the Tampa, Fla. native's "sunny" appearance and personal character.
"JMU always comes through. People always say that no one truly understands the community we have as a school, and the support that they showed me was just absolutely amazing. I couldn't have done this without their undying support," Erb said.
Hawaiian Tropic will be sending Erb to Hawaii where she will go to work in her role as the new face. She will be a spokesperson for the company as well as appear in a series of print ads.
"This contest has been full of new experiences. I have been so blessed to be given such a wonderful opportunity."
As a JMU volleyball player, Erb in 2012 was named to the All-State team for the second time in her career. She finished either first or second on the JMU squad in kills, kills per set, aces, digs, digs per set, blocks and points. She led the Dukes in kills with 361 and was second in digs with 334 and became only the fourth player in school history to surpass 1,000 in both categories in her career, finishing fourth all-time in kills (1,330) and sixth in digs (1,149).
In 2012 Erb was voted Second-Team All-CAA, becoming just the second player in school history to be named All-CAA four times. She was named to the CAA All-Tournament team after leading JMU to an upset of third-seeded Northeastern with a career-high 26 kills.