As a redshirt sophomore:
- Drafted ninth round (277 overall) by Los Angeles Dodgers
- ABCA First Team All-Region
- Second Team All-CAA
- CAA All-Tournament Team
- Listed as a preseason player to watch in the CAA by Collegiate Baseball
- First player in JMU history and second in CAA history with 20 doubles and 20 homers (had 21) in a season
- Ranked 90th in the NCAA in runs (63), 90th in doubles (20), 17th in home runs per game (0.36), 13th in home runs (21), 33rd in RBIs per game (1.21), 43rd in RBIs (70), 25th in slugging percentage (0.734) and 37th in total bases (163)
- Ranked fourth in CAA in slugging percentage (.734),eighth in runs scored (63),tied for 15th in hits (76), third in runs batted in (70), tied for fifth in doubles (20), tied for first in home runs (21), sixth in total bases (163), tied for third in walks (39), tied for seventh in sacrifice flies (4), 14th in fielding percentage (.990)
- Ranked eighth on JMU's all-time career home run list (32), tied for eighth in seasonwalks (39), third in season total bases (163), third in season home runs (21), sixth in season doubles (20), fifth in season runs batted in (70),10th in season runs scored (63),and matched Kellen Kulbacki's JMU season extra-base hits record (43)
- Went 2-for-4 with a double on opening day against Binghamton
- Had an RBI double and scored a run against Radford
- Went 2-for-3 with a double, two walks, and a run against William and Mary in the second game of the series
- Went 2-for-5 with an RBI and a pair of runs scored in the series finale against the Tribe
- Homered and drove in a pair at Tennessee
- Had a five-RBI game against GSU in game one by going 2-for-6 with a double and homering for the second straight game
- Singled, tripled, walked, scored a run, and drove in three against GSU in game three
- Went 3-for-5 with four runs scored and a stolen base against George Washington
- Provided the Dukes with a go-ahead home run in the seventh and then again homered in the ninth for a walk-off win against Towson in game one
- Had a total of six hits, three being home runs, scored four, and drove in nine against Old Dominion in games one and two
- Went a perfect 4-for-4 including two solo home runs and scoring three times against VMI to record his third multi-home run game of the season
- Hit a three-run home run against Longwood in game one along with scoring twice
- Homered, walked twice, and scored twice against Delaware in game one
- Homered again against Delaware in game two while also driving in three and scoring the walk-off game-winning run on a wild pitch
- Drove in four runs and had three hits in the series finale against Delaware
- Went a combined 6-for-11 with a double, two home runs, five runs scored, eight RBIs, and three walks in the Delaware series
- Had a pair of hits against VMI
- Belted his 13th home run of the season against George Mason in game one as well as drove in a run on a sacrifice fly for the only RBIs for JMU
- Went a combined 7-for-10 in the series against VCU with six runs scored, two runs driven in, a pair of doubles, a triple, a home run, and four walks
- Had a single and a home run with three RBIs at Radford in game two of the series
- Hit two towering home runs to right center against UNCW ace Brad Holt in game one while also singling in the loss
- Went 2-for-3 with a double, another home run, and two driven in
- 18th home run in game three against UNCW moved him into a tie for fourth place on JMU season chart
- Walked and lifted third sac fly of season at Marist
- 18th double nad 19th homer with a walk and three runs in middle game at Northeastern
- Matched career high with five RBIs in CAA tournament win over ODU with RBI double and a grand slam, second of his career and 20th home run of the season
- Singled and hit three-run home run in second round win over George Mason
- Two hits, two runs, two RBIs in Friday win over Mason
- Doubled and drove in two runs with two walks in NCAA win over Charlotte
- Led all JMU players in seven postseason games with 12 RBIs while hitting .318 with two doubles and two homers
As a redshirt freshman:
- Collegiate Baseball Freshman All-American
- CAA All-Rookie team
- One shy of freshman home run record
- 2-for-3 with two runs and two RBIs, including a home run against Richmond
- Hit 11th homer of the season in game one of Towson series
- Went 3-for-3, with a home run, a double, two runs and two RBIs in series opener versus Georgia State
- Went 1-for-2 with a double, a run scored and two RBIs in first Hofstra game
- Drew two walks and scored twice against George Washington
- Had three hits during the Northeastern series, which were all home runs
- Hit a two-run shot in the series opener, then added two two-run bombs in the series finale
- It was the first multi-home run game of his career
- Set a new career-high with his four RBIs in the series finale
- Had a double and two RBIs in each of the first two games versus UNCW
- Had two hits in the series finale
- Hit a two-run shot for his fourth career home run against Richmond
- 2-for-5 with two runs and two RBIs in series finale versus William & Mary
- Two hits included third home run and fourth double of the season, as well as extending hit-streak to a career-high 10 games
- 2-for-5 with two RBIs, a run scored, and a stolen base in first William & Mary game
- Went 2-for-4 with two runs scored in second Marshall game
- Including second career home run
- Extended his hit streak to six-games in second VCU game
- Went 2-for-3 in first VCU game
- Hit first career home run versus Liberty
- Went 2-for-3 with career-high three runs and one RBI against Liberty
- Scored two runs in win over Maryland
- Had career-high four hits in series finale against Old Dominion
- Scored two and drove in two in that game
- Had two hits including a double in second ODU game
- Has two RBIs in second Charlotte game
- Went 3-for-4 with two runs, two RBIs and first career stolen base in series opener versus Charlotte
- Had two runs scored in first game versus Seton Hall
- Started summer 2007 with Falmouth Commodores in Cape Cod League
- Left after two games to sign with Staunton Braves in Valley Baseball League
- Hit .279 with six doubles, three home runs, and 10 RBIs in 27 games while helping Braves to VBL semifinal appearance and 26-23 record.
As a freshman:
- Redshirted 2006 season as a true freshman
- Three-time All-Northern New Jersey Interscholastic League for the Green Knights of St. Joseph Regional High School
- Served as a captain and was named teams MVP as a senior
- Earned Associated Press All-State and played in the New Jersey State all-star game
- All-Bergen County first team as a junior and senior
- Team won 2004 state championship
- Won 2003 and 2005 Bergen County titles.
- Son of Patricia and Jose Caseres
- Finance major.
Getting to Know Steven
What is your major and why did you choose it?
Finance. I chose the major because I enjoy working with numbers and it's a challenging major.
Why did you choose JMU?
I loved the campus and people on my visit.
What do you enjoy most about JMU baseball?
What are your goals for this year?
Win a conference championship.
What is your favorite pre-game music or ritual?
Throwing with Lee Bujakowski.
Do you have a nickname within the team?
What can't you live without?
The support of my family.
What is something most people don't know about you?
I hate airplanes.
What activities or hobbies do you enjoy other than baseball?
Playing video games and poker.
What do you want to do after college?
Play professional baseball or start my own business.
Who or what is your favorite:
MLB Team? Mets
MLB Player? A-Rod
Food? Chicken Parm
Movie? Forrest Gump
TV Show? Baseball Tonight
D-Hall or PC Dukes? D-Hall
Coke or Pepsi? Coke
Red Sox or Yankees? Yanks
Burger King or McDonald's? Mickeys
Jennifer Lopez or Angelina Jolie? Jolie
Cooking or Cleaning? Neither