HARRISONBURG, Va., March 27, 2013 – The James Madison men’s tennis team dropped its home opener Wednesday afternoon to Binghamton 6-1. The Bearcats won the doubles point before claiming five of six points in singles play.
The Dukes’ loss snapped a three-match win-streak, and they are now 5-7 this spring. The Bearcats are now 7-8 overall this season.
Ruben Haggai and Robin Lesage defeated seniors Bastien Russo (Lyon, France/Notre Dame des Minimes (Shorter)) and Greg Vladimirsky (Staten Island, N.Y./Broward Virtual) 8-3 at No. 3 doubles before seniors Hugo Ramadier (Paris, France/Lycee Francais Chateaubriand (Northern Arizona)) and Florent Sentenac (Borderes, France/Lycee Theophile Gautier (Auburn Montgomery)) evened the score with an 8-5 victory over Sid Hazarika and Eliott Hureau at No. 2 doubles.
Bastien Bornkessel and Ismael Dinia, however, clinched the doubles point for Binghamton with an 8-3 win over senior Ryan Pool (Melbourne, Australia/Braemar (Chattanooga)) and freshman Robert Stirling (Caboolture, Australia/St. Columbans College).
After Pool fell to Hazarika in two sets (6-2, 6-2) at No. 1 singles to give the Bearcats a 2-0 advantage, Stirling put the Dukes on the board with a two-set win (6-3, 6-1) over Hureau at No. 4 singles. The freshman is now 7-5 this spring and has won his last four matches.
Binghamton took a 3-1 lead over JMU when Dinia defeated Sentenac 7-5, 6-3 at No. 5 singles. The Bearcats notched the decisive fourth point at No. 3 singles when Lesage battled Vladimirsky for a three-set win. Vladimirsky came back for a 7-5 victory in set two after falling 6-1 in set one, but dropped the third set 6-2 to put the match out of reach of the Dukes.
JMU hits the road for its third conference match of the spring on March 30 as the Dukes take on William & Mary at 2 p.m.
BINGHAMTON 6, JMU 1
1. Bornkessel/Dinia (BING) def. Pool/Stirling (JMU), 8-3
2. Ramadier/Sentenac (JMU) def. Hazarika/Hureau (BING), 8-5
3. Haggai/Lesage (BING) def. Russo/Vladimirsky (JMU), 8-3
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1*
1. Sid Hazarika (BING) def. Ryan Pool (JMU) 6-2, 6-2
2. Alexander Maisin (BING) def. Hugo Ramadier (JMU) 7-6(5), 4-6, 6-4
3. Robin Lesage (BING) def. Greg Vladimirsky (JMU) 6-1, 5-7, 6-2
4. Robert Stirling (JMU) def. Eliott Hureau (BING) 6-3, 6-1
5. Ismael Dinia (BING) def. Florent Sentenac (JMU) 7-5, 6-3
6. Ruben Haggai (BING) def. Maxi Branth (JMU) 3-6, 6-4, 10-4
Order of Finish: 1, 4, 5, 3*, 6, 2