NORFOLK, Va., April 6, 2013 – The James Madison men’s tennis team was stopped short Saturday afternoon by No. 62 Old Dominion as the Monarchs won 4-3 over the Dukes. JMU dropped to 6-10 on the season, including 2-3 in Colonial Athletic Association contests, and ODU advanced to 13-5 in 2013.
The Monarchs swept the doubles point, including a hard-fought 8-6 victory by No. 64 Carlos Lopez Villa and Can Cetinel over senior Ryan Pool (Melbourne, Australia/Braemar (Chattanooga)) and freshman Robert Stirling (Caboolture, Australia/St. Columbans College) at No. 1 doubles.
JMU attempted the comeback in singles competition, taking three of the first five singles points to draw even with Old Dominion at 3-all. Stirling tallied a 7-5, 6-1 win over Zvonimir Podvinski at No. 4 singles, and senior Hugo Ramadier (Paris, France/Lycee Francais Chateabriand (Northern Arizona)) took down Albert Ochagavia at No. 2 singles by the same score. Senior Greg Vladimirsky (Staten Island, N.Y./Broward Virtual) dropped Jonas Kuwert in two sets (6-3, 6-2) at No. 3 singles for his fourth straight victory.
At No. 6 singles, freshman Maxi Branth (Stockholm, Sweden/Tullinge Gymnasium) battled back from a 6-2 loss in set one to Cetinel for his own 6-2 win in set two. Cetinel, however, rallied in the third set and defeated Branth 6-4 to clinch the 4-3 win for the Monarchs.
The Dukes play their final road game of the regular season on Wednesday, April 10 when they travel to Liberty. The midweek-match is set for a 2 p.m. start.
#62 ODU 4, JMU 3
1. (#64) Lopez Villa/Cetinel (ODU) def. Pool/Stirling (JMU), 8-6
2. Barrett/Schweig (ODU) def. Ramadier/Sentenac (JMU), 8-2
3. Podvinski/Kuwert (ODU) def. Bastien Russo/Vladimirsky (JMU), 8-6
1. Carlos Lopez Villa (ODU) def. Ryan Pool (JMU) 6-3, 6-3
2. Hugo Ramadier (JMU) def. Albert Ochagavia (ODU) 7-5, 6-1
3. Greg Vladimirsky (JMU) def. Jonas Kuwert (ODU) 6-3, 6-2
4. Robert Stirling (JMU) def. Zvonimir Podvinski (ODU) 7-5, 6-1
5. Wesley Barrett (ODU) def. Florent Sentenac (JMU) 6-1, 6-4
6. Can Cetinel (ODU) def. Maxi Branth (JMU) 6-2, 2-6, 6-4