RICHMOND, Va., April 1, 2012 - One day after the James Madison men's tennis team defeated Colonial Athletic Association foe William and Mary for the first time in 16 years, the Dukes fell 7-0 to 43rd-ranked VCU. The loss dropped the Dukes to 8-8 overall, and a 2-2 mark in the CAA.
The Dukes started off by dropping the doubles point. In the top spot, the Dukes pair of senior Bertrand Moulin (Lyon, France/Aux Lazaristes Minimes(Wayne State)) and junior Greg Vladimirsky (Coral Springs, Fla./Broward Virtual) fell to the 65th-ranked team in the nation in VCU's Alexis Huegas and Antoine Baroz 8-5. At No. 2 doubles, Max Wennakowski and Filip Svensson defeated juniors Ryan Pool (Melbourne, Australia/Braemar(Chattanooga) and Florent Sentenac (Borderes, France/Lycee Theophile Gautier(Auburn Montgomery 8-5)), and senior Tommi Nissinen (Oulu, Finland/Kastellin Lukio) and junior Hugo Ramadier (Rome, Italy/Lycee Francais Chateabriand (Northern Arizona)) lost to Alejandro Argente and Jamie Vazquez 8-7 (4) in No. 3 doubles to give VCU the 1-0 match lead.
The Dukes dropped all six singles matches in straight sets. In the No. 1 spot 74th-ranked singles player Huegas took down Vladimirsky, 7-5, 6-4. At No. 2 Wennakowski defeated Pool, 6-2, 6-3, and Svensson topped Ramadier by the same score in the No. 3 spot to give the Rams the win.
Finishing out the match, Argente blew by Sentenac, 6-1, 6-2, in No.4 singles. Baroz edged out Moulin, 7-5, 6-3, in the five hole and Vazquez completed the sweep, dropping Nissinen, 6-1, 6-3 in No. 6 singles.
JMU returns to action on Friday, April 6 when they host George Washington in a 1 p.m. matchup at the Hillside Tennis Courts
VCU 7, James Madison 0
April 1, 2012
1) Alexis Heugas/Antoine Baroz (VCU) def. Moulin/Vladamirsky, 8-5
2) Max Wennakoski/Filip Svensson (VCU) d. Pool/Sentenac, 8-5
3) Alejandro Argente/Jaime Vazquez (VCU) d. Nissenen/Ramadier, 8-7 (4)
1) Heugas (VCU) def. Vladamirsky, 7-5, 6-4
2) Wennakoski (VCU) def. Pool, 6-2, 6-3
3) Svensson (VCU) def. Ramadier, 6-2, 6-3
4) Argente (VCU) def. Sentenac, 6-1, 6-2
5) Baroz (VCU) def. Moulin, 7-5, 6-3
6) Vazquez (VCU) def. Nissinen, 6-1, 6-3