No. 6 JMU Men's Tennis Falls 4-1 to No. 3 UNC Wilmington in CAA Quarterfinals
Back to Men's Tennis
NORFOLK, Va., April 22, 2011 - Third-seeded UNC Wilmington was able to sneak by in doubles and win three singles matches in three sets each to take a 4-1 victory from sixth-seeded James Madison in the quarterfinals of the Virginia 529 College Savings Plan Colonial Athletic Association Men's Tennis Championship on Friday at Old Dominion's Folkes-Stevens Tennis Center.
Courtesy: Photography/JMU Athletics Comm
The Seahawks, ranked 46th in the nation by the ITA, improved to 19-4 and advanced to Saturday's semifinals against Georgia State, while the Dukes ended their season at 12-8 overall.
UNCW was able to grab the early 1-0 lead after winning the final doubles match in a tie-breaker. Kinshuk Sharma and Chris Cooprider gave the Hawks the early advantage with an 8-3 win at No. 1 doubles against junior Bertrand Moulin (Lyon, France/Aux Lazaristes Minimes (Wayne State)) and sophomore Greg Vladimirsky (Coral Springs, Fla./Broward Virtual).
JMU evened the doubles score when sophomore Florent Sentenac (Borderes, France/Lycee Theophile Gautier (Auburn Montgomery)) and senior Yaroslav Voznenko (Kherson, Ukraine/Kherson Technical) took an 8-5 victory from Rafael Aita and Michael Pereira at No. 3.
The Seahawks clinched the doubles point after Kosta Blank and Illia Ziamtsou edged senior Matt King (Lorton, Va./Robinson (Old Dominion)) and sophomore Ryan Pool (Melbourne, Australia/Braemar (Chattanooga)), 9-8 (10-8).
Pool opened singles play with a 6-3, 6-1 win versus Aita at No. 4 to even the match at 1-1. Sharma regained the lead for UNCW at No. 1 with a 6-1, 3-6, 6-3 victory against Vladimirsky.
Cooprider stretched Wilmington's lead to 3-1 when he rallied for a 4-6, 6-3, 6-4 win at No. 3 over Sentenac, and Pereira won the decisive fourth point at No. 2 with a 7-6 (8-6), 4-6, 6-3 victory against Moulin.
#46 UNC Wilmington 4, James Madison 1
Doubles (Order, 1,3,2)
1. Sharma/Cooprider (UNCW) def. Moulin/Vladimirsky (JMU) 8-3
2. Blank/Ziamtsou (UNCW) def. King/Pool (JMU) 9-8(8)
3. Sentenac/Voznenko (JMU) def. Aita/Pereira (UNCW) 8-5
Singles (Order 4,1,3,2)
1. Kinshuk Sharma (UNCW) def. Greg Vladimirsky (JMU) 6-1, 3-6, 6-3
2. Michael Pereira (UNCW) def. Bertrand Moulin (JMU) 7-6(6), 4-6, 6-3
3. Chris Cooprider (UNCW) def. Florent Sentenac (JMU) 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
4. Ryan Pool (JMU) def. Rafael Aita (UNCW) 6-3, 6-1
5. Kosta Blank (UNCW) vs. Jovan Milic (JMU) 6-2, 5-2, unfinished
6. Illia Ziamtsou (UNCW) vs. Yaroslav Voznenko (JMU) 6-0, 4-3, unfinished