As a freshman:
- Named top pitcher during JMU’s Fall Purple and Gold World Series
- Worked four innings in his collegiate debut allowing just one hit against Binghamton to earn JMU’s first save in the team’s first win of the year
- No runs allowed on two hits in three innings in two appearances vs. Hartford
- 5 2/3 innings of relief at Delaware allowing one hit and an unearned run
- Made second collegiate start in JMU’s CAA Tournament opener, tossing three innings and allowing two runs vs. Delaware before weather suspended play to the next day
- Tossed 2/3 of a scoreless inning in season finale vs. Northeastern
- Pitched for the Vienna Riverdogs in the Cal Ripken Collegiate Baseball League and posted a 2.05 ERA and two and zero record in 10 games
- Played for Billy Emerson at Paul VI Catholic High School in Vienna, Va.
- A four year letter winner in baseball in for the Panthers
- As a senior led his team to win the 2012 Washington Catholic Athletic Conference (WCAC) championship and the 2012 VISAA Division 1 State championship
- During his senior year posted a 5-3 record with a 2.48 ERA, 40 strikeouts and five complete games and was named Second Team WCAC Pitcher and Second Team VISAA Pitcher
- As a junior helped his team reach the VISAA state championship
- Was a four-year academic scholar athlete in high school
- Also played club baseball for Rob Riley and the Prospects Stars
- Also played American Legion baseball for Coach Frank Werman and Vienna Post 180 and won the District 17 championship
- Went 4-2 with Post 180 with a 2.06 ERA and 46 strikeouts over 56 2/3 innings, including a nine-inning shutout in the district semfinals
- Son of Mary and William Gunst
- Marketing major
- Would like to find a future career that involves both marketing and baseball
- Has aspirations to coach
- Enjoys playing basketball with his friends and watching sports
- Grandfather, Ralph Beer, played baseball and basketball at the University of Missouri
- Grandfather, William F. Gunst, served in General Patton's Third Army, 4th Armored Division in the European Theater
Innings: 5.2, Delaware 5/16/13
Strikeouts: 5, Georgia State 4/20/13
Getting to know Mark...
What is your current major?
Why did you choose JMU?
Great academics and an awesome overall atmosphere
What is your favorite thing about JMU?
Being lucky enough to play for the baseball team
What is your Favorite place to eat on campus?
Most people don’t know that I…
Love to write
Who is the biggest inspiration in your life?
What is your “walk out” song?
“Holy Grail” by Jay-Z and Justin Timberlake
What is your Favorite pre-game meal?
Who is your Favorite Athlete?
What is your Favorite Movie?
For Love of the Game
What is your biggest fear?
If you could have one superpower, what would it be?
The Ability to Fly
If you could travel to one place, where would it be?
If you could sit down and talk to any person, living or deceased, who would it be?
I never got to know my grandfather who played semi-professional baseball. I would love to talk to him
What is your biggest pet peeve?
When people are disrespectful to one another
Hamburger or Hot Dog: Hamburger
Gray, White, Gold, Purple, or Black Uniform: Black
Ski or Snowboard: I’ve never done either, but I would love to learn how to snowboard
Facebook or Twitter: Twitter
Chinese Food or Mexican Food: Mexican
Skittles or M&M’s: M&M’s
Country Music or Hip Hop: Hip Hop
Within the team, who is the…
Most looked up to: Aaron Hoover
Team Clown: Kevin Feehan
Best Dressed: Brett Johnson
Most likely to be late: Michael Church
Most likely to break out in a song: Michael Howerton
Best Dancer: Ben Garner
Best Motivator: Ty McFarland
Most likely to become famous (from baseball or non-baseball related): Tyler Gregory