PINEHURST, N.C. -- James Madison University's men's golf team battled shorthanded and finished fourth at the 2011 Colonial Athletic Association Championship, April 24. The three-day, 54-hole tournament was played at Pinehurst Resort No. 8 (Par 72 - 7,092 yards) in Pinehurst, N.C., April 22-24.
The Dukes fought valiantly as they played with only four players after first round tournament co-leader junior Chad Mozingo (Culpeper, Va./Culpeper County) had to withdraw in the second round due to a recurring shoulder injury from the Penn State tournament. Madison stepped up in the final round and posted a 10-over 298 for a 38-over 902 score. UNC Wilmington earned the league's automatic bid by holding on to its 10-shot second-round lead to shoot 18-over 882 and winning the team title by 10 shots over runner-up VCU at 892. George Mason was third at 29-over 893, with JMU and Old Dominion at 909 rounding out the top five.
"The guys played well this week but we ran into some bad luck the second and third day with Chad's injury," Head Coach Jeff Forbes said. "I thought the team battled really well considering we were only playing with four . I am excited about next season, with everyone from this lineup returning. I think we will have a good shot at winning the CAA title next year."
Sophomore Ryan Vince (Charlotte, N.C./Providence) led the Dukes as he tied for seventh after a 2-over 74 in the final round put him at 5-over 221 for the tournament. Junior Mike Smith (Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla./Nease) moved up to a tie for 11th after his third-straight 3-over 75 put him at 9-over 225. Junior Chris Wellde (Ellicott City, Md./Centennial) shot a 4-over 76 to place 24th at 14-over 230. Sophomore Rich Leeper (Chapel Hill, N.C./Carrboro) cut 10 shots off his second round score and had the best final round for JMU with a 1-over 73 to tie for 30th at 17-over 233. Opening-round co-leader Josh Brock of UNC Wilmington shot his second consecutive 1-under 71 tot take home medalist honors at 2-under 214, three shots ahead of Rocky Khara of VCU as the runner-up at 1-over 217.
Team Results Scores
1. UNC Wilmington 294-293-295=882 (+18)
2. VCU 304-296-292=892 (+28)
3. George Mason 302-295-296=893 (+29)
4. James Madison 296-308-298=902 (+38)
5. Old Dominion 309-296-304=909 (+45)
6. William & Mary 314-295-305=914 (+50)
7. Georgia State 307-305-306=918 (+54)
8. Delaware 312-301-307=920 (+56)
9. Towson 309-312-303=924 (+60)
10. Drexel 333-310-326=969 (+105)
11. Hofstra 326-329-331=986 (+122)
Individual Results (Top 5 Plus JMU)
1. Josh Brock (UNC Wilmington) 72-71-71=214 (-2)
2. Rocky Khara (VCU) 74-71-72=217 (+1)
3. Nyasha Mauchaza (Towson) 73-76-69=218 (+2)
Silas VanSky (George Mason) 72-74-72=218 (+2)
5. Neil Henderson (Old Dominion) 76-68-75=219 (+3)
Chase Sargent (VCU) 78-73-68=219 (+3)
t7. Ryan Vince (JMU) 72-75-74=221 (+5)
t11. Mike Smith (JMU) 75-75-75=225 (+9)
24. Chris Wellde (JMU) 79-75-76=230 (+14)
t30. Rich Leeper (JMU) 77-83-73=233 (+17)
54. Chad Mozingo (JMU) 72-WD-WD