TOWSON, Md., Dec. 4, 2011 - For only the third time in 31 meetings, Towson defeated James Madison as the Tigers posted a 65-58 win in the Colonial Athletic Association women's basketball opener for both teams Sunday afternoon at the Towson Center.
The Dukes, who lost for the first time this season, have a 5-1 record. Towson, whose only losses have come to Top 25 teams Maryland and Connecticut, has a 5-2 record.
"Towson out-played us; they deserved to win," said JMU Head Coach Kenny Brooks. "We came out a little bit flat, and we never re-grouped. They were quicker to the loose balls, and we never really had the energy we needed. You can't come on the road and play lackluster games like this."
JMU junior guard Tarik Hislop (Silver Spring, Md./Paint Branch) led all scorers with 14 points and also made three steals. She was one of three Dukes to score in double figures, joined by redshirt senior forward Lauren Whitehurst (Chesapeake, Va./Indian River) with 12 and redshirt junior guard Jasmine Gill (Greensboro, N.C./Page) with 10.
Whitehurst and junior forward Nikki Newman (Harrisonburg, Va./Turner Ashby) led the Dukes with eight rebounds apiece.
Five Towson players scored in double figures and two finished with double-doubles. Krystal Parnell and Deree Fooks each scored 13, Tanisha McTiller and Krystin Fields scored 12 apiece and Nyree Williams finished with 11. Williams also grabbed a game-high 14 rebounds, and Fooks had 13 rebounds.
Additional Game Notes:
* Towson jumped out to an 18-10 lead with 11:02 left, scoring 10 of those points in the paint and another four at the foul line
* JMU outscored Towson 15-6 over 4:17 to take its only lead of the game, 25-24, at 6:42... Debbie Smith scored five and Crystal Ross four of the JMU points.
* Dukes' starter Nikki Newman sat out most of the half after picking up her second foul at 13:38.
* JMU and Towson each scored 24 points from the field... Towson 9-10 FTs and JMU 7-9 FTs.
* Only player in double figures at half was Nyree Williams with 10... Towson's Deree Fooks had nine points and nine rebounds,
* Towson scored the first four points of the half and led by as many as eight on two occasions, the last time 49-41 at 9:03
* With Towson leading by six, 53-47 at 4:52, JMU outscored the Tigers 7-1 to tie the game at 54-54 at 2:26... Tarik Hislop scored the last four points of the run, the last on a steal followed by a layup.
* Towson outscored JMU 9-2 in the final 1:16, with all of the Tigers' points coming at the foul line, where Towson converted nine of 10 tries.
* JMU shot a season-low 32 percent (22-69) from the floor, while Towson shot a JMU opponent season-high 42 percent (19-46).
* The Dukes outscored Towson 46-40 from the field, but the Tigers won the game at the foul line, where they held a 25-12 advantage. Towson hit 76 percent (25-33) from the free-throw line, while JMU hit 67 percent (12-18). Towson's Krystal Parnell led the way, converting 11 of 15 attempts.
* JMU lost for the first time this year and for only the third time in 31 games against Towson. Towson's other two wins came on Jan. 29, 2009 (61-51) and on Feb. 4, 1984 (75-67).