Strategic Communications - Social Media, Design, Video
Availability: Fall - 2 to 3 positions, Spring - 2 to 4 positions, Summer - hired on as-needed basis
Hours: Generally six-eight hours per week. Hours can include work both in and outside of the office environment. Also, hours can also include games depending sports season and level of experience.
Purpose: Assist supervisor with creation, maintenance, day-to-day operations of JMU athletic multimedia communications while enhancing portfolio skills, gaining insight and experience of the profession. Duties will vary from student to student based on specific skill sets and interests and may or may not involve working JMU athletic events.
Sports: Heavy in-game experience with football and both men's and women's basketball. Other sports will be assigned based on interest/need.
Possible Assignments: The following is a sampling of tasks assigned to practicum students.
- Graphic Design- Includes creation of graphic elements for website, features, social media, email, and/or video boards.
- Photo Collection - Searching for photos (old and new) to be used in graph/video creative.
- Video- Composing, shooting, and editing video for use on multiple platforms.
- Email- Building email's for upcoming events to promote attendance, increase awareness and ticket sales.
- Game Day- Documenting the behind-the-scenes and fan experience to utilize on social media.
- Documenting analytics of the website, email tracking, and social media engagement.
- Create strategic plans to promote and/or annouce upcoming events.
- Monitor social media trends
- Coordinate efforts between Marketing, Ticketing, and Communications
- Contribute to the idea board
- Interest in sports and more specifically in sport communication - best fit for practicum positions are sport communication minors and/or majors in sport management, communication, journalism, or SMAD
- Ability to work evenings and weekends if responsibilities include game coverage
- Preferred Skill Set: Adobe Photoshop and/or Final Cut Pro (or another video editing software)
- Interest in design and creation
- Flexible, ability to adapt to changing responsibilities
Contact Assistant Director for Strategic Communications, Michael Prior - email@example.com