HARRISONBURG, Va., Sept. 29, 2012 -- James Madison senior Paul Wyatt (Modbury, England/Ivybridge) scored twice to help the Dukes to a 4-0 win over visiting Towson in Colonial Athletic Association men's soccer Saturday evening at University Park.
JMU (4-4-1, 2-0-0) remained unbeaten in the early CAA season and is tied with Drexel for first place in the league standings. Towson (3-4-0, 1-1-0) suffered its fourth loss in the Tigers' last five games.
The Dukes led 1-0 at halftime after scoring in the 21st minute. Sophomore Jonathan Barden (Harrow, England/Park) sent a pass from the center of the field into the box, where sophomore Josh Grant (Plymouth, England/Torpoint College) turned and scored on a 12-yard shot to the right side of the goal.
Freshman Tom Fouhy (Buckinghamshire, England/Dr. Challoner's) started the play that set up the Dukes' second goal. Fouhy sent a pass from the left side across the front of the goal. Grant re-directed the ball to the right to an onrushing redshirt sophomore Steven Mashinski (Fairfax, Va./Chantilly), who scored on a 10-yard shot. The goal came in the 62nd minute.
Wyatt tallied JMU's third and fourth goals. His first score came after Towson freshman goalkeeper Felix Petermann (Berlin, Germany/Flatow-Oberschule) stopped the ball but was unable to control it. Wyatt knocked the ball into an open net from 12 yards out in the 76th minute. Then, with five minutes left, a shot by Barden hit the crossbar and rebounded to Wyatt, who scored on an eight-yard shot.
* JMU - Jonathan Barden sends a ball from the center of the field into the box, where Josh Grant turns and scores on a 12-yard shot to the right side of the goal, 20:17.
* JMU - A point-blank shot by Paul Wyatt is stopped by Towson goalkeeper Felix Petermann five yards from the goal, 26:33.
* JMU outshoots Towson 6-2, and neither Towson shot was on goal.
* JMU - Wyatt is fouled in the box by a Towson defender and a penalty is assessed. The PK by redshirt senior Christian McLaughlin (Herndon, Va./Herndon) is saved by Petermann, 53:12. The ball rebounds to the left to Tom Fouhy, whose shot from four yards is stopped by Petermann, 53.16.
* Towson - Senior Matteo Vertucci (Rome, Italy/Pendleton) takes a free kick from 35 yards that sails several feet over the crossbar, 57:47.
* Towson - Junior Olakunle Banjo (Upper Marlboro, Md./Largo) dribbles toward the right side of the goal, where his shot from eight yards out is stopped by redshirt junior goalkeeper Colin Newcity (Harrisonburg, Va./Harrisonburg), 60:52.
* JMU - Fouhy sends a pass from the left side into the box, where Grant re-directs the ball to the right. An onrushing Steven Mashinski scores on a shot from 10 yards, 61:14.
* Towson - Petermann covers a dangerous ball in the box before JMU can get a shot off, 71:18.
* JMU - Petermann is able to stop the ball but fails to control it. Wyatt scores from 12 yards on an open net, 75:19.
* Towson - Banjo takes a shot from 22 yards out that is wide of the goal by about four yards, 76:48.
* JMU - A shot by Barden hits the crossbar and rebounds to Wyatt, who puts the ball into the goal from eight yards, 85:00.
* JMU - Paul Wyatt increased his career goals total to 24 and moved from tied for 17th to sole possession of 16th place on JMU's all-time scoring list. He passed Chris Simon (1986-89), who scored 23 career goals.
Shots: JMU 19, Towson 8
Saves: JMU, Colin Newcity 1 (90:00); Towson, Felix Petermann 4 (90:00)
Corner kicks: JMU 8, Towson 1
JMU - Josh Grant (Jonathan Barden), 20:17
JMU - Steven Mashinski (Grant, Tom Fouhy), 61:14
JMU - Paul Wyatt (unassisted), 75:19
JMU - Paul Wyatt (Jonathan Barden), 85:00