Duke Club Letterwinner Chapter
Did You Know?
Competition is based on the percentage of former student-athletes giving out of the total alumni for their sport. Current student-athletes' membership in the Student Duke Club will count as giving. All percentages are rounded to the nearest whole number. Since percentages are rounded up on the graph, the graph will not reflect the actual percentage used to determine the winner. Winner will be based on the actual percentage and will not be rounded.
*Last updated 5/17/13
2013 Letterwinner Chapter Team Competition Participants
- Alumni: Whit Babcock, Eric Brent, Hugh Broomall, Steven Cullers, Justin Gannon, James Knicely, Roger Lee, Timothy Meyers, Albert Milbert, Gregory Miller, Jeffrey Nalevanko, Kevin Parrella, Mark Siciliano, Andrew Slonaker, Todd Winterfeldt
- SDC: Daniel Brown, Kyle Weston
- Alumni: Richard Bailey, Eric Brent, Kenny Brooks, Gary Butler, Robert Donohoe, Steve Dunbar, John Earman, James Hummer, Roger Hughett, Pete Johnson, Arthur Lee, Timothy Meyers, Alex Reece, Dwight Riddick, Charles Rosenberg Jr., Michael Slivinski, Steve Smith
- Alumni: Judy Baumgardner, Kittie Blakemore, Jen Brown, Lois Geil, Merle Kemp, Jamie Miller, Lori Moran, Lee Morrison, Anne Sonoga, Gracie VanDyck
- Alumni: Diane Naff, Pamela Nelson, Brian Rivero, Karl Schnurr
- Alumni: Casey Antinarella, Kittie Blakemore, Elizabeth Bliss, Donna Harper, Merle Kemp, Nancy Koury, Cathy Kushner, Jacqueline Lose, Heather Martin, Lisa Milliken, Lee Morrison, Gracie VanDyck
- SDC: Taylor Bailey, Jessica Currin, Amy Goldstein, Bailee Hubert, Rachel Palumbo, Samantha Smiertka, Taylor West
- Alumni: Robert Adams, Steven Albrite, Scott Arbogast, Bryon Arnone, Michael Atalla, Michael Battle, Robert Baylor, Thomas Bowles, Les Branich, Richard Burkhart, Adam Burket, Cory Clark, Warren Coleman, Roger Collins, Kevin Crosen, Daniel Cullen, John DeFilippo, Michael Dudzik, Michael Fornadel, Bobby Fralin, Matt Goff, Brian Grainer, Paul Harris Jr., Joshua Haymore, Richard Hetherington, Jeffrey Hill, Clyde Hoy, Thaddeus Hudson, Michael Jansen, Delvin Joyce, L. Paul Keppel, Michael King, John Kubesh, Larry Landes, Scott Lemn, Anthony LeZotte, John Lucas, Michael Matthews, Jerry McCommons, Gary McCollum, Thomas McGloon, Theodore McGuirk, Bradley Morris, Bruce Morton, Robert Neil, Charles Newman, Stuart Norton, Logan O'Neill, Timothy Phillips, T.J. Phipps, Tom Ridley, Joseph Robertson, Thomas Robertson, David Sensabaugh, James Sheasley, James Sheehan, Joseph Showker, Derek Spangler, Christopher Sullivan, Patrick Sweet, David Swett, Randal Thompson, Donald Trumble, Michael VanAken, Kevin White, Dennis Willis, Pascal Windham, Duncan Wynne
- SDC: Daniel Brown, Albert Williams
- Alumni: Ronald Bales, John Case, Jeff Forbes, Stanley Gray, William Lam, Steven Ligi, John Screen
- SDC: Tyler Williams
- Alumni: Denise Gibson, Heather Hauk, Karen Miller
- SDC: Kelsey Solan, Rachel Walker, Nikola Wessels
- Alumni: Brooke Eubanks, Shelley Klaes-Bawcombe, Heather Martin
- SDC: Nancy Koury, Cathy Kushner, Emily Rhoads, Shelby Robinson, Nora White
- Alumni: Frank Cavallo, William Dunn, Ramon Garcia, Marc Hinson, Robert Prachar, David Villarreal, Daniel White, C. Elwood Whitmore
- Alumni: Elisabeth Costa, Amanda Hutchings, Kimberly Lewis
- Alumni: Brittney Lyddane,
Swimming & Diving
- Alumni: Rebecca Bynum, Kristin Dawson, Bruce Fraley, Maria Grosz-Pope, Gretchen Hardtke, Karen Knowles, Samantha Smith, Paul Weber
- SDC: Emma Brown, Kelly Johanson, Erica Reifinger
- Alumni: Edgar Dearth III, Chad Fine Earth, Michael Hendrickson, Jorge Salas, Stephen Second, John Snead, Mark Snead, Gerald Syska
- SDC: Malcolm Peace
- Alumni: Carol Collins, Sandra Leffew
- SDC: Taylor Pinchoff
Track & Field / Cross Country
- Alumni: Michael Atalla, Jennifer Burkhart, Cynthia Flickinger, Lori Gauer, Maria Grosz-Pope, Thomas Wells, Walter Wilson
- SDC: Sarah Jochem, Gabrielle Poore, Nicole Rossi
- Alumni: Lindsay Callahan, Amber Cornelius, Chris Henderson
- SDC: Kelly Maguire, Martha Stewart, Sierra Ventrell-Hahn
How are Letterwinner Chapter funds distributed?
Typically, 100% of a Duke Club gift goes toward the student-athlete scholarship fund and the general operating budget. However, 10% of a Letterwinner Chapter gift may be designated for the operating budget of a specific sport. The Duke Club still recognizes 100% of the gift.
If I designate 10% of my gift to a specific sport, how does that affect my Duke Club giving?
The Duke Club recognizes 100% of your gift, including the portion designated to a specific sport. For instance, if you make a $1,000 gift to the Duke Club, $900 will be used for the student-athlete scholarship fund and the general operating budget, while $100 goes directly goes to your chosen sport. As a Letterwinner Chapter member, you will still receiveDuke Club benefits for the full $1,000 gift.
I already give to my sport. Why should I join the Letterwinner Chapter?
The Duke Club provides scholarship and budgetary funds for all eighteen sports at JMU. Duke Club support is vital for the health of every program. We do not ask sport specific donors to transfer their current giving to the Duke Club. Rather, we are collaborating with each sport by sharing funds with each sport and, most importantly, getting our former athletes engaged with JMU Athletics and growing the JMU Nation. Also, because the Duke Club provides funds for student-athletes, it is only appropirate to have former student-athletes investing the Duke Club.
Other than making a gift, what else does the Letterwinner Chapter entail?
The Letterwinner Chapter allows for the recognition and distinction of those that were a part of our athletic past and chance to be an important part of our future. The Chapter will help organize team reunions and special events to keep former teammates in touch. A distinctive logo has been developed and items with this logo are available.
Are JMU coaches in support of the Letterwinner Chapter?
The Letterwinner Chapter is a collaborative effort with each coach because everyone wins in the end. By increasing the overall funds through new support and new means of student-athlete recognition, more funds are provided for scholarships and sport-specific budgets.
It is important that our former athletes stay engaged with JMU by joining the Letterwinner Chapter to keep JMU competitive and to help support the student-athletes that are following in their footsteps. For more information, please contact Taylor Adkins, Associate Director of the Annual Fund at firstname.lastname@example.org or (540) 568-6082.
Letterwinner Team Competition Rules
1. The JMU sports program that has the highest percentage of current student-athletes/alumni making a gift to the JMU Duke Club annual fund will be awarded a $5,000 gift to the general operating budget of that sport. Since the competition is based on the highest percentage of current student-athletes/alumni giving back, the dollar amount raised will not influence the outcome of the competition.
2. The Letterwinner Team Competition will take place from January 1, 2013 - December 31, 2013. All donations made to the Letterwinner Chapter of the Duke Club during this time period will count towards the giving percentage of each JMU sports program. All gifts must be post marked before December 31, 2013 to be included in the competition.
3. All gifts to the JMU Duke Club annual fund, from individual alumni of a particular sport, will allow the donor to become a member of the Letterwinner Chapter of the JMU Duke Club. Gifts to the Letterwinner Chapter of the JMU Duke Club support student-athlete scholarships and the general operating budget of all varsity sports at JMU. Gifts can be made online at jmusports.com/dukeclub, over the phone at 540-568-6461, by mail, or in person at the JMU Duke Club offices (James Madison University - MSC 0402 - 380 University Boulevard - Harrisonburg, VA 22807).
4. Ninety percent (90%) of every gift to the Letterwinner Chapter of the Duke Club will be allocated to student-athlete scholarships and the general operating budget for JMU Athletics. Ten percent (10%) of every gift to the Letterwinner Chapter of the Duke Club will be allocated to the general operating budget of that donor's former sports program. All gifts to the Letterwinner Chapter of the Duke Club will allow the donor to receive Duke Club donor benefits equal to one hundred percent (100%) of their gift.
5. All JMU sports programs will receive an informational packet in January of 2013 detailing the competition and providing them with a list of alumni of their program.
6. Restricted gifts (gifts/donations made towards a particular sport) will not receive credit in the Letterwinner Team Competition. Only gifts to the JMU Duke Club annual fund (student athlete scholarships and the general operating budget of JMU athletics) will count towards membership in the Letterwinner Chapter of the Duke Club. The percentage of current student-athletes/alumni is based on gifts made to the Duke Club annual fund.
7. Current student-athletes membership in the Student Duke Club will count towards a program's over all giving percentage.
8. Team giving percentages will be calculated by the JMU Duke Club staff and updated weekly at www.jmusports.com/letterwinners. The percentages will be rounded to the nearest whole percentage point on the website. The website does not reflect the official percentages used to determine the winner at the end of the 2013 calendar year. The name of all donors (unless otherwise specified) will be listed by sport on the website. This is to allow recognition of all gifts while allowing the individual sport programs to be aware of who is giving to their program.
9. In the event of a tie, the sports program with the highest giving percentage in the month of December will be used to determine a winner. If the teams are still tied, the JMU Duke Club staff will continue to compare previous months until one team comes out ahead.
10. The winning team will receive the $5,000 gift towards their team's general operating budget in the spring of 2014. Specific date of the transfer of funds is to be determined by the JMU Duke Club staff and the JMU athletics business offices.
11. All teams will receive the ten percent (10%) of donations made from their alumni in the spring of 2014. Specific date of the transfer of funds is to be determined by the JMU Duke Club staff and the JMU athletics business offices.