About the Hall of Fame
The purpose of the James Madison University Athletics Hall of Fame is to recognize and honor individuals who by excellence of their athletic achievements or their connection with athletics as a competitor, coach, administrator or interested individual have brought recognition and esteem to themselves and James Madison University.
Individuals selected for induction will be recognized during a University banquet and through an on-campus display. JMU's Athletics Hall of Fame is on the second floor of the Robert and Frances Plecker Athletic Performance Center. The on-campus display details the members' achievements, and inductees are also presented personal awards of recognition.
Criteria for Selection
- Individuals nominated for their athletic achievements must have made significant contributions to the JMU program as members of a varsity team and have earned a baccalaureate degree from JMU or left the University in good academic standing.
- JMU coaches, JMU administrators, and other individuals who have distinguished themselves in various athletics-related activities may be considered.
- Included may be JMU alumni who have brought distinction to the University and non-JMU alumni who have distinguished themselves in JMU Athletics-related areas.
- Nominees must have demonstrated good citizenship.
- Individuals nominated for their achievements as student-athletes are eligible for consideration for induction following a period of ten years after competing.
- Individuals nominated for their contributions as employees of JMU may be considered three years after honorable termination of employment from the University. Others may be considered as deemed appropriate by the selection committee.
- A typical class of inductees has included from two to seven members.
The selection committee is chaired by the University's Director of Athletics and includes members of the University's Athletic Department as designated by the Director as well as other members with direct associations to the University.
How to Nominate
- Nominations (submitted via e-mail using the Adobe PDF form on this page) may be made at any time but must be received by June 7, 2013 for consideration during the annual fall inductions. Please download the form to your hard drive, type in the information, save it and e-mail it in. The selection committee will review nominations and select inductees in June 2013. Nominations are retained from year to year.
- Formal inductions occur in the fall in conjunction with Hall of Fame activities, and inductees must agree to be present for induction ceremonies and associated activities during the year of their induction.
- Induction activities include a reception and banquet for the inductees, their guests, and the general public.
- Nominations should be made via e-mail on the required form on this page to Amanda Halbert in JMU's Duke Club at email@example.com. JMU student-athlete career information to support the nomination process may be obtained through the JMU Athletics Communications Office at (540) 568-6154.