Va., Oct. 21, 2012 -- Drexel sophomore
Megan Hammaker (Camp Hill, Pa./East Pennsboro) scored with seven seconds
remaining to give the visiting Dragons a 2-1 win at James Madison in Colonial Athletic Association women's soccer
Sunday afternoon at University Park.
The Dragons improved their overall record to 12-3-2 and upped their league mark to 6-2-1. JMU, playing in its final regular-season game, dropped to 7-11-0 overall and 5-5-0 in CAA competition.
Hammaker controlled a ball sent into the box by senior Biz Matta (Downingtown, Pa./Downingtown East) and knocked a shot from 22 yards out into the upper right corner of the goal.
Drexel never trailed in the match, but JMU controlled much of the first-half play, when the Dukes held the Dragons without a shot.
However, the Dragons scored on their first shot of the match, less than two minutes into the second half, to take a 1-0 lead. Senior Juliana Speroni (Oceanside, N.Y./Oceanside) started the play when she sent a ball from behind the midfield line ahead to junior Jess Sarkisian (Moorestown, N.J./Moorestown). Sarkisian raced a step ahead of a JMU defender, making a run of about 30 yards toward the goal. She dodged to the left of JMU sophomore goalkeeper Marlee Stynchula (Fairfax, Va./W.T. Woodson) and sent the ball into an open net from six yards out.
For the second game in a row JMU senior defender Amalya Clayton (Springfield, Va./West Springfield) got the Dukes even with their opponent. Sophomore goalkeeper Eve Badana (Markham, Ontario/Saint Brother Andre) attempted to corral a long throw-in by junior Becky Sparks (Laurel Springs, N.J./Paul VI), but the ball went through her hands to Clayton, who headed the ball into the net from close range. The tying score came with 8:23 left to play.
Drexel assured itself of its first-ever berth in the six-team CAA Tournament while JMU will finish seventh in the league standings. The top six teams in the final standings qualify for the CAA Tournament.
Game Statistics Summary:
Shots: JMU 14, Drexel 6
Saves: JMU, Marlee Stynchula 2 (90:00); Drexel, Eve Badana 9 (90:00)
Corner kicks: JMU 9, Drexel 2
Drexel - Jess Sarkisian (Juliana Speroni), 46:61
JMU - Amalya Clayton (Becky Sparks), 81:37
Drexel - Megan Hammaker (Biz Matta), 89:53
JMU Head Coach David Lombardo
"It was a tough result today. I thought we played one of our better matches of the season, both offensively and defensively. (We) created a lot of opportunities, just didn't finish enough of them. That's been our Achilles' heel this year.. Our kids played well. They knew what was at stake. We win this game, we qualify (for the CAA Tournament), if we don't, we're out."
"Our seniors stepped up. In the last four or five games of the season (they) really were trying to assert their will and make this season continue. We just came up short today."
* JMU - A high shot by redshirt junior Theresa Naquin (Herndon, Va./Herndon) from the edge of the box is saved by Eve Badana, 4:48.
* JMU - Badana makes a stop on a shot by junior Lauren Wilson (Coatesville, Pa./Downingtown) from the left corner of the 18 to the left corner of the goal, 14:50.
* JMU - A low shot by freshman Elissa Halik (Spring, Texas/Klein Collins) from the center of the field from just outside the 18 is stopped by Badana, 17:30.
* JMU - Wilson controls a cross from the left side and takes a low shot from the center of the box from 16 yards; Badana makes the save, 22:06.
* Drexel - A dangerous ball in the box is cleared away by JMU defender Amalya Clayton at the edge of the box in the center of the field, 26:45.
* Drexel - Jess Sarkisian gets a through ball from Juliana Speroni and beats JMU goalkeeper Marlee Stynchula before shooting on an open net from six yards to give her a team a 1-0 lead, 46:51.
* JMU - A header by Becky Sparks off a Lauren Wilson corner kick is saved by Badana, 55:47.
* JMU - Another header by Sparks is just wide left of the goal, 61:22.
* JMU - Badana makes another stop on a header by Sparks off a Wilson corner kick, 70:27.
* JMU - Redshirt senior Kelly Germain (McLean, Va./Langley) sends a ball into the box for Wilson, but Badana controls the ball before Wilson can get a shot off, 72:37.
* JMU - Badana tries to control a long throw-in by Sparks, but the ball goes through her hands to Clayton, who heads the ball into the goal to tie the game at 1-1, 81:37.
* Drexel - Megan Hammaker scores on a shot from 22 yards to the upper right corner of the goal, 89:53.
* JMU has 15 points in CAA play (three points for a win, one point for a tie) and with no games remaining will finish seventh in the final standings. The top six teams qualify for the postseason CAA Tournament.
* WIth 19 points and one game remaining, Drexel has 19 points and is in second place in the CAA standings.
Current CAA Standings & Remaining Game on Oct. 24
William and Mary, 21 points (home vs. ODU)
Drexel, 19 (home vs. Delaware)
Hofstra, 18 (home vs. Northeastern)
Delaware, 18 (at Drexel)
Northeastern, 18 (at Hofstra)
UNC Wilmington, 18 (at Georgia State)'
JMU, 15 (idle)
George Mason, 7 (home vs. Towson)
Old Domnion, 6 (at W&M)
Georgia State, 4 (home vs. UNCW)
Towson, 4 (at George Mason)