Convocation Center/Basketball Game Day Policies (A-Z Fan Guide)
Please contact the Athletic Facilities and Events main office at (540) 568-8810 with any questions or concerns you may have.
Accessibility - Seating, Parking, Captioning
Seating - Wheelchair and accessible seating is available on the wheelchair platforms located in Section 213 (inside Gate B) and Section 203. If you have a need for accessible seating on game day, please visit one of the ticket booths or contact any member of the event staff. Handicap accessible restrooms are located in the main concourse on the west side of the Convocation Center by Concessions. Guests requiring a wheelchair must provide one for their own use.
Parking - Handicap accessible parking is located in the B/E Lot, adjacent to the Convocation Center. A lot specific pass for B/E Lot is not needed to utilize these spots.
Captioning - Accessibility devices for those who are deaf or hard of hearing are available upon prior request for all home basketball games. Click here to place a request for a captioning device in advance.
It is prohibited to bring alcohol into the Convocation Center. Violators will be subject to removal and applicable legal action.
There are no ATMs in the Convocation Center.
Small bags, purses, baby bags, etc. are allowed in the Convocation Center and subject to search.
Banners, Posters, and Signs
Banners, posters, and signs are welcome inside any JMU athletic facility. In order to guarantee the best game day experience of other patrons, fans should adhere to the following guidelines:
- Size should not exceed 24 by 36 inches.
- Should be individually hand held (by one person only).
- Banners, posters, and signs should not contain any advertising, political or commercial message, derogatory or offensive language/logos, and should not be affixed to sticks, poles, or other objects for support.
- Content of the banners, posters and signs should comply with all CAA and NCAA rules and regulations.
- Banners, posters and signs are not to be affixed to any part of the athletic facility without prior approval
- JMU Athletics reserves the right to determine the acceptability of the content of the sign and to confiscate any banner, poster, or sign that violates this policy.
Are You a Booster? We have provided this link for representatives of athletic interests; more commonly known as boosters, to help answer any questions you may have regarding NCAA Rules and Regulations. However, if you are still unsure please ASK BEFORE YOU ACT! You can contact the JMU Athletics Compliance Office at 540.568.6248. They would be happy to answer any questions you may have.
Still cameras are permitted for JMU basketball games; however, in no instance may photography interfere with access ways, aisles, or other guests' enjoyment of the game. Video cameras are not permitted.
Concession stands open 60 minutes prior to the game and are located in the main concourse on the west side of the arena. No outside food or beverage may be brought inside the stadium.
Emergency Evacuation Procedure/Lightning Detection
In the event of an emergency, find the nearest usher, Public Safety Officer, or Cadet or call 540-568-6911.
For assistance in any first aid emergency situation, please contact a Public Safety Officer or any event staff member or JMU Athletics staff.
Ticket holders can use gates A, B, C, D, and E. The designated student gate at the Convocation Center is Gate E.
JMU Basketball game information will be available at the program stands or JMU Athletics Marketing tables located at all gates.
Assistance is available from your seat by texting "DUKES" followed by a space and your location to 78247 beginning one hour prior to tipoff. Standard SMS rates apply.
Guest Services & Lost and Found
For any questions, concerns, inquiries concerning lost or found items, or assistance, please contact any event staff member or JMU Athletics staff. Please contact 540-568-8810 to locate a lost and found item following your event.
Officially licensed JMU merchandise is available for purchase at the Team Store in the main concourse on the west side of the arena by Concessions.
All parking lots open 2.5 hours prior. Vehicles, including those with reserved hangtags, left in a reserved lot prior after 2.5 hours prior are subject to towing.
- Men’s Basketball Reserved Lots (Pass Required) – Convocation Center Lots A, B, C, D, E, F
- Men’s Basketball General Parking (No Pass Required) – Convocation Center Lot F (Lower), Lot G
- Women’s Basketball Reserved Lots (Pass Required) – Convocation Center Lots C, D, R
- Women’s Basketball General Parking (No Pass Required) – Convocation Center Lot A, F, G
- Reserved lots are not accessible for dropping off and unloading.
- General parking is available at no charge on a first come, first served basis.
- Handicap accessible parking is located in the B/E Lot, adjacent to the Convocation Center. A lot specific pass for B/E Lot is not needed to utilize these spots.
Portable Seat Cushions
Portable seat cushions are permitted provided they are no wider than 18 inches in width and do not have armrests. Any cushion not meeting this standard may not be used in Convocation Center.
- No re-entry
- No smoking or tobacco products including smokeless varieties such as electronic cigarettes, e-cigarettes, and vapor cigarettes.
- No solicitation or distribution of handouts
- No throwing of any objects
- Alcoholic beverages, controlled substances, weapons, fireworks
- Bags larger than 12"x12"x12"
- Glass and metal containers
- Noise makers and other devices that impede the game
- Outside food and beverages
- Obscene or indecent clothing, signage, or language
- Video cameras, monopods, tripods
- Wheelies, bicycles, and skateboards
JMU Recycling is asking for your support in keeping the parking lots, tailgating areas, and athletic facilities clean by recycling your aluminum, glass, and plastic. Recycling bins are strategically placed beside every trash can, so be looking for the recycling containers out there this year and "Get in the Game" RECYCLE!
Lost or misplaced tickets may be reprinted for the ticket holder of record only. A service fee is charged for reprinting tickets.
Good sportsmanship, both in the game and in the stands, contributes to an outstanding game day environment for all fans while being considerate to those around you. Respect yourself, respect your neighbors, RESPECT MADISON.
Restroom facilities are located throughout the stadium. Handicap accessible restrooms are located in the main concourse on the west side of the Convocation Center by Concessions.
For all JMU Men’s Basketball games and select Women’s Basketball games, free shuttles will be available beginning two hours prior to tipoff through one hour following the game from the following locations:
- Lot R10 (by Rockingham Hall)
- Festival Bus Stop (Across from Festival Conference & Student Center)
- Note: This shuttle does not run at all home basketball games in which the R10 shuttle is running.
In accordance with University Policy 1111, smoking is not allowed in the Convocation Center.
Re-entry is not allowed in the Convocation Center.
Tailgating is permitted directly behind your vehicle and cannot occupy additional parking spaces or impede traffic. Open flames other than gas grills are NOT permitted. Grilling is not permitted in JMU parking decks. Charcoal grills, fire pits, and open flames are not permitted. State laws and University alcohol policies will be enforced on JMU property. Secure your tailgate area before and during the game to protect your belongings. JMU will not assume responsibility for any lost or stolen items. Clean up your tailgating area to keep our campus clean and traffic areas safe for travel. Any violation of the tailgating policy may result in the immediate termination of tailgating privileges and/or legal action.
Courtesy telephones are located in the main concourse of the Convocation Center, next to each set of restrooms by Concessions.
All persons ages 3 and older must present a ticket to enter Convocation Center (6 and older for women’s basketball). Tickets, if available, may be purchased on game day at the Gate A, B, and D ticket booths which open one hour prior to tipoff. Prior to an event, tickets may be purchased at the Athletic Ticket Office located inside the Convocation Center, Entrance D, by calling 540-568-3853, or online at JMUSports.com/tickets. The Athletic Ticket Office is open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. Patrons assume all risk for tickets purchased through sources other than the JMU Athletic Ticket Office.